Food Security Grants
Please note that this grant program will open in 2024.
With generous and dedicated co-funding from an anonymous donor, the Rhode Island Foundation established the Food Security grant program.
The Food Security grant program supports local nonprofit organizations with missions that address food insecurity for Rhode Island’s most vulnerable populations. The program will consider funding requests for both the purchase of food and operations to agencies that prioritize service to children, the elderly, and/or the homeless.
- Food insecurity
- Organizations serving children, elderly, or the homeless.
- Grant funding amounts will be linked to the number of individuals served and can range from $10,000 to $75,000.
- Agencies and/or collaborations serving a specific city or town will be eligible for grants up to $50,000.
- Agencies and/or collaborations serving multiple communities will be eligible for grants of $75,000.
- Agencies whose mission is to address food insecurity;
- Statewide programs or efforts that have a strong geographic or community focus;
- Collaborations, especially regional ones;
- Requests for children, elderly and/or the homeless populations; and
- Agencies with adequate capacity to deliver services.
- Eligible organizations must be Rhode Island-based and Rhode Island-serving;
- The proposal must address food insecurity;
- Applying agencies must serve vulnerable populations; and
- Please note that the Basic Human Needs, Responsive and Strategic Initiatives grant programs will prioritize organizations who are not receiving funding through the Food Security grant program. Please contact Inés Merchán or your program if you have any questions.
The program does not support:
- Capital expenditures or campaigns
- Endowment funds
- For-profit entities
- Fundraising events
- Lobbying efforts
- Political groups
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Out-of-state agencies
A complete application package includes:
- Completed application form, submitted through our online system;
- Completed budget form, also submitted through our online system;
- The applying agency's audited financials;
- The applying agency's organizational budget; and
- A current list of the applying organization's board of directors.
To complete an application that is already in progress, and to submit, please click here.