Basic Human Needs Grants
Basic Human Needs Grants support community agencies that provide emergency assistance to Rhode Islanders most in need. Grants of up to $5,000 are awarded to community-based programs that provide direct assistance, such as:
- Food (food pantries, soup kitchens)
- Housing/rental assistance
- Prescription assistance
- Utilities assistance
- Transportation assistance (bus passes, Riptiks, auto repairs)
- Child care assistance for homeless families
To discuss use of funds for capital investments, capacity-building activities, or for other uses of funds not listed above, please email or call Inés Merchán, grant programs officer, at (401) 427-4034.
Basic Human Needs Grants support the launch of a new program or support of an established program. For established programs, the Basic Human Needs Grant cannot be the only source of funding.
Organizations can receive one Basic Human Needs Grant per calendar year. However, organizations may apply to other Foundation grant programs within the same calendar year.
Site visits may be conducted.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis; grant decisions are usually made within 6-8 weeks.
A complete application package includes:
- Completed application form, submitted through our online system; and
- Completed budget form, also submitted through our online system;
To complete an application that is already in progress, and to submit, please click here.