Providence Fire Fighters Local 799 Scholarship Fund
This scholarship program provides financial assistance to dependent children of active members - in good standing - of the Providence (RI) Fire Department and of the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 799.
About the awards
Up to 25 scholarships will be awarded annually, the amount of each scholarship will be determined by an equal split of the available annual distribution of the Fund. Payment will be made to the recipient's school of choice.
You are eligible to apply if you
- Are a dependent child of an active member - in good standing - of the Providence (RI) Fire Department and of the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 799.
- Are a high school senior who has been accepted to an accredited 2 or 4-year university/college, junior college, or post-secondary technical or vocational school OR are a current student enrolled and in good standing, at an accredited 2 or 4-year university/college, junior college, or post-secondary technical or vocational school.
To apply you must submit a complete application via the Foundation's secure online portal. Click here to access the portal.*
A complete application must include
- Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA
- The most recent version of your student transcript
- An essay (no more than 350 words) describing your educational goals and why you selected your field of study, include your career goals and what has motivated you to pursue higher education
- Click here to apply.*
Application deadline: 5 p.m. (EST) on May 31, 2023
The application opens in January of each year, and all required documents must be received by the deadline in order to be considered. Local 799 has partnered with the Rhode Island Foundation, and the Foundation will evaluate the applications and select the recipients considering the application materials provided. Local 799 will not screen applications or make recommendations.
All scholarship applicants will be notified of the Foundation's decision during the summer.
*Please note that, even if you have applied for a Rhode Island Foundation scholarship in the past, you will be required to create a new application, as we have migrated to a new application system.