Grants from the Program for Animal Welfare
Thirteen special funds at the Foundation relate to the humane treatment and protection of animals. These funds collectively enable the Foundation to take a leading role on animal welfare issues. Previously funded programs include statewide humane education efforts and low-cost spay and neuter initiatives.
The Program for Animal Welfare funds organizations in Rhode Island or that serve Rhode Island working to promote and/or provide humane treatment of animals. The program also supports organizations working more generally on the welfare of animals. Grants are for projects or programs that have a positive impact statewide or in individual communities with regard to the care, shelter, and maintenance of animals, education about the humane treatment of animals, and/or animal welfare in general.
The Foundation will consider capital projects. Individuals are not eligible to receive grants. Funding requests should be for activities that will commence in late September 2024 or later, as notification to applicants will occur in mid-September.
Grants are awarded annually. Please check back in mid-January for the 2024 application deadline date.
Please submit the following:
- Completed application form, including a narrative (applications are available six weeks prior to the deadline; all applications must be submitted through our online system);
- Project budget, submitted through our online system;
- A current list of the applying organization's board of directors;
- For lead organizations specifically:
- complete copy of the organization’s current operating budget, including a detailed breakdown of income and expenses;
- complete copy of the organization's audit (including balance sheet, statement of revenues and expenses, and auditor’s notes and opinions) for the most recently completed fiscal year. If no audit was done, a year-end financial statement including balance sheet, statement of revenues and expenses, and an accounting of assets and liabilities must be included;
- IRS 501 (c) tax determination letter;
- scope of work, only if you are requesting funding for consultant services; and
- written estimate(s) if you are requesting funding support for equipment or capital improvements to facilities.
NOTE: If you already have started an online application, please log in to your account page to edit the application that is in progress.