Black Philanthropy Bannister Fund Grants
The Black Philanthropy Initiative was established as a field of interest fund at the Foundation in 2007 to address the needs of the Black community. Bannister House was a nursing home for retired African American domestic workers located in Providence. When Bannister House was sold, the former board contributed the proceeds to the Black Philanthropy Initiative, and in 2016 the Fund was renamed the Black Philanthropy Bannister Fund. The fund will continue to honor the original focus of Bannister House and the Black Philanthropy Initiative by supporting Rhode Island's Black community. Learn more: About the Black Philanthropy Bannister Fund
The fund provides assistance in three core areas.
- Grants to community-based organizations that provide youth development and mentoring opportunities to urban Black youth. The programs should target educational success, avoidance of risk behaviors, empowerment to make positive decisions, higher aspirations, increased confidence, more positive interpersonal relationships and growth and engagement that positively impacts the community.
- Grants to Black community-based organizations that support and promote the history and achievements of Blacks in Rhode Island, preserve the culture of the Black community and strive to uplift low-income Black Rhode Islanders.
- Scholarship assistance for Black students who are pursuing or advancing a career in healthcare. For more information, or to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Foundation's scholarship directory.
September 9, 2021
A complete application package includes:
- Completed application form, submitted through our online system;
- Completed budget form, also submitted through our online system;
- A proposal narrative, found within the application;
- A current list of the applying organization's board of directors attached to the application;
- A scope of work (this applies only to organizations requesting funding for consultant services).
Applications are available six weeks prior to the deadline.
To complete an application that is already in progress, and to submit, please click here.