We need your support to continue the work. Consider investing with us.
Mission, Vision, Values, Strategy
The Rhode Island Foundation is a proactive community and philanthropic leader dedicated to meeting the needs of the people of Rhode Island.
Mission in action
To deliver on the Foundation's mission we:
- Actively inspire philanthropy and increase permanent resources for the state of Rhode Island;
- Invest in important community programs through grants; and
- Provide leadership and a forum for dialogue on critical community issues.
We have earned the trust of our donors, community leaders, and Rhode Islanders through a century of effective investments, strategic grants, and responsible decisions.
We align our fundraising, grantmaking, and leadership to inspire and engage Rhode Islanders to address today’s challenges and create lasting improvements in our community.
We challenge and encourage Rhode Islanders to become active and involved in the community, to form meaningful partnerships, and to work together for the good of Rhode Island.
- Of, by, and for Rhode Island.
- Excellent stewards of the charitable legacies entrusted to us.
- Focused on finding long-term solutions.
- Committed to innovation.
- Addressing the underlying causes of inequity and eliminating disparities.
- Strengthening the whole community by connecting community members.
- Balancing competing priorities.
- Rewarding high performance and initiative-taking.
- Our mission requires us to focus acutely on the levers of change that we believe will advance our three strategic priorities - therefore improving economic, educational, and health outcomes for all Rhode Islanders.
- As the state’s community foundation we must create flexibility in our community investment strategies, so that we are able to work with partners across the nonprofit sector to meet community need.
- In order to create true transformation we must raise up issues of equity, address the social determinants that produce disparate outcomes, and nurture a culture of civic engagement and philanthropy.