Senior Philanthropic Advisor
The Rhode Island Foundation is the largest and most comprehensive funder of nonprofit organizations in Rhode Island, and raises an average of $35-40 million per year from generous and visionary donors. Since 1916, the Foundation has aligned its fundraising, grant making, and civic leadership efforts to address Rhode Island’s most pressing issues and the needs of diverse communities. The Foundation is a dynamic, fast-paced workplace. Its dedicated employees are committed to creating positive change in Rhode Island.
The Foundation is currently seeking a Senior Philanthropic Advisor, a position that will provide an exciting growth opportunity for an experienced fundraiser or new business development professional.
The Senior Philanthropic Advisor will be a member of the Foundation’s Development team, reporting to the Vice President of Development. By building relationships and inspiring philanthropy, the ideal candidate will proactively raise major current and deferred (estate) gifts from current and prospective donors, provide high level philanthropic planning advice and service to donors, and will positively increase visibility in the community for the Foundation. The ideal candidate will embrace and enjoy the fundraising and stewardship process, and will rise to the challenge of business development.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift and planned gift prospects, and their referral sources, largely through obtaining and executing productive meetings to build relationships and grow the Foundation’s donor pipeline.
- Effectively serving as the primary contact for highest level customer service, stewardship, and future gift cultivation of assigned donors.
- Providing philanthropic planning advice to both prospects and donors while balancing donor interests with the discretionary needs of the Foundation as well as those of the community.
- Working collaboratively across Foundation departments and especially with grant program officers to identify community needs and opportunities for donors.
- Building strong relationships and meaningful connections with prospects, professional advisors, and current donors.
- Developing expertise in and persuasively communicating the Foundation’s value proposition and fund offerings.
- Raising awareness and providing information about the Foundation’s purpose and mission at a variety of networking activities, including delivering presentations to various audiences.
- Maintaining up to date pipeline activity data and reporting in order to track prospect, professional advisor, and assigned donor activity.
The ideal candidate is a strong team player who is both responsive and proactive, adaptable in a fast-paced work environment, and has the ability to work independently exercising strong judgement and decision-making capabilities.
Extensive proven experience with fundraising or new business development is required. The ideal candidate will also possess high-level verbal and written communication skills.
A commitment to listening to the needs of prospects and donors and to facilitating philanthropic investments that both align with the Foundation and the desires of the donor.
- The ideal candidate will also have demonstrated experience or sufficient familiarity with handling a variety of planned or complex gifts, such as bequests, charitable trusts, charitable gift annuities, and stock.
- Finally, significant knowledge of the Rhode Island community and a broad network of contacts with the ability to grow and develop that network is also a plus.
The Rhode Island Foundation encourages a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive salary.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org