This free professional development program is designed to build the nonprofit-sector leadership pipeline by preparing early career professionals to take on increased responsibility through focused mentoring with an established nonprofit leader.
Individual mentoring (4 hours/month)
Emerging leaders are paired with an established nonprofit leader for up to four hours per month of mentoring for one year. Mentoring opportunities may take the form of:
- Observations, site visits or other “shadow” activities
- Focused coaching, role playing, or career advising
- Informal conversation
- Coaching around self-assessment and skill building
Monthly peer meetings (2 hours/month)
Mentees meet monthly with Foundation staff to share learnings and reflect on personal leadership growth with peers. This is a critical component of the learning process so applicants must be able to attend all meetings (see dates below).
Ideal applicants for this program should:
- Have between three and eight years of experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Have some experience supervising others
- Demonstrate the potential to be current or future high-performing leaders with a commitment to the nonprofit sector in Rhode Island
- Be energized by constructive feedback and open to trying new approaches in their work
- Not be afraid to ask questions, constantly challenge him/herself, and be willing to enrich the learning experience of peers.
Please note: the application deadline for this year has passed.
Peer meetings for the cohort of 2019 Emerging Leaders take place on the following Wednesdays from 3-5 p.m.:
- May 22
- June 19
- July 17
- September 18
- October 23
- November 13
- December 18
- January 22, 2020
- February 19, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- April 22, 2020