Strategic Initiative Officer for Economic Security
The Rhode Island Foundation is the largest and most comprehensive funder of nonprofit organizations in Rhode Island and raises an average of $35-40 million per year from generous and visionary donors. Since 1916, the Foundation has aligned its fundraising, grantmaking, and civic leadership efforts to address Rhode Island’s most pressing issues and the needs of diverse communities. The Foundation is a dynamic, fast-paced workplace. Its dedicated employees are committed to creating positive change in Rhode Island.
The Rhode Island Foundation is currently seeking a Strategic Initiative Officer for Economic Security (SIO). The position is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of grant investments that reflects the goals and focus areas articulated in the Foundation’s strategy.
In addition, the SIO is expected to be a substantive voice and presence in the community – in coordination with the Foundation’s leadership – to contribute to advancing the Foundation’s Economic Security strategies. The SIO will also coordinate with donors and prospective donors to the Foundation as needed, and in partnership with the Development team. The SIO will have regular interactions with Foundation leadership, and the board, regarding strategy, grantmaking within the portfolio, sector-specific needs and opportunities, and leadership activities that go beyond grantmaking.
The Strategic Initiative Officer will report to, and work closely with, the Vice President of Grants & Community Investments. This position will also work closely with, and take direction from, the President & CEO.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to:
- Serve as a liaison to the Economic Security sector, identifying key stakeholders, strengths, challenges, opportunities, and points of intervention that may be of interest to the Foundation.
- Maintain a high level of visibility and leadership in the Economic Security sector, developing subject matter expertise and connecting and collaborating with key community stakeholders.
- Work with senior officers at state and local agencies
- Serve as relationship manager with grantees, applicants, and community partners.
- Identify and help match grant funding and technical assistance opportunities for community organizations, both through the Foundation and other sources.
- Review and evaluate grant applications and formulate funding recommendations for the Foundation’s leadership and board of directors.
- Identify community investment opportunities on a proactive basis and bring such opportunities to Foundation colleagues for consideration. These may include grants, impact investments, technical assistance, convenings, or other service.
- Represent the Rhode Island Foundation at community events. This may include evenings or weekends.
- Manage and track allocated budgets.
- Contribute to grant review in other sectors and programs as needed, and/or collaborate as part of internal teams on special projects as required.
- Work on special initiatives of the Rhode Island Foundation as required.
The ideal candidate should be a strong team player who is dependable, proactive, adaptable in a fast-paced work environment, and who is detail-oriented, timely, organized, and a self-starter.
The ideal candidate must also have a positive attitude and commitment to the Foundation’s mission, vision, and to equity for all. A substantive knowledge of the Economic Security sector, knowledge of the management of nonprofit organizations, experience with evaluation techniques, and some experience working with donors is also preferred. The ideal candidate must be willing and able to build and steward relationships, must also have strong problem solving and analytical skills, strong verbal and written communications skills, and approach working as part of a team in a collaborative manner.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred. A minimum of 10-years’ experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably with relevant grantmaking experience is also preferred, lived experience and language skills in addition to English is a plus.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com.