The Rhode Island Foundation is the largest and most comprehensive funder of nonprofit organizations in Rhode Island, and raises an average of $35-40 million per year from generous and visionary donors. Since 1916, the Foundation has aligned its fundraising, grantmaking, and civic leadership efforts to address Rhode Island’s most pressing issues and the needs of diverse communities. The Foundation is a dynamic, fast-paced workplace. Its dedicated employees are committed to creating positive change in Rhode Island.
The Foundation is currently seeking an accountant who will perform a wide variety of routine and non-routine functions in different areas, including account reconciliations, analysis, and other general ledger/accounting functions. This position will provide support to the finance department, assisting with financial reporting, audit preparation, and budgeting. Candidate will be expected to provide back up support for other accounting functions as necessary, including cash management, vendor and grant payables.
Essential functions include:
- Perform monthly bank account and other account reconciliations to ensure accurate and appropriate reporting and ledger maintenance
- Assist with accounting and monitoring of the Foundation’s restricted grant programs
- Assist with the preparation of the Foundation’s 990 tax filings and other annual filing requirements
- Assist with the oversight of all accounting systems including general ledger and accounts payable
- Assist with monthly reporting and analysis of the operating budget
- Assist with the annual financial audit and preparation of the annual audited financial statements
- Provide back up support for reconciliation of custodian investment reports and related activity, cash management, vendor and grant payables functions
- Other duties as necessary
The ideal candidate should have 3+ years of experience in accounting and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with concentration in accounting; CPA is desirable.
The ideal candidate should possess attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness, and organizational skills; strong problem solving and analytical skills; ability to prioritize, adapt to change, work independently, and use good judgement; strong verbal and written communications skills; collaborative approach to working as part of a team; and be proficient in Word and Excel.
The Rhode Island Foundation encourages a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive salary.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.