Twelve special funds at the Foundation relate to the humane treatment and protection of animals:
- Virginia B. Butler Fund, established in 1978
- Abbie A. Brougham Memorial Fund, established in 1988
- Ilon Sillman/Sara Andrews Endowment Fund, established in 1997
- Helen Walker Raleigh Fund for Animals, established in 2006
- Dawn, Gregg and Leland Weingeroff Animal Fund, established in 2006
- Mary Lou Crandall Fund, established in 2006
- Vinny Animal Welfare Fund, established in 2009
- Jeanne Marie Mehmed Fund, established in 2012
- Vernon and Mary Pierce Fund, established in 2013
- Ginger, Sheba and Susie Carr Fund, established in 2013
- Chariho-Westerly Animal Rescue League Animal Welfare Fund, established in 2014
- Julius and Lena DelPapa Memorial Fund, established in 2014
These funds collectively enable the Foundation to take a leading role on animal welfare issues. Previously funded programs include statewide humane education efforts and low-cost spay and neuter initiatives.
The Program for Animal Welfare funds organizations in Rhode Island or that serve Rhode Island working to promote and/or provide humane treatment of animals and supports organizations working more generally on the welfare of animals. Grants are for projects or programs that have a positive impact statewide or in individual communities with regard to the care, shelter, and maintenance of animals, education about the humane treatment of animals, and/or animal welfare in general.
The Foundation will consider capital projects. Individuals are not eligible to receive grants. Please note: Applications will not be considered from organizations with overdue grant reports
Grants are awarded annually. The next application deadline is June 15, 2017.
Please submit the following:
- Completed application form *
(Applications are available six weeks prior to the deadline; all applications must be submitted through our online system.)
- Project budget
- Board list
- For lead organization:
- complete copy of organization’s current operating budget, including detailed breakdown of income and expenses
- complete copy of audit (including balance sheet, statement of revenues and expenses, and auditor’s notes and opinions) for most recently completed fiscal year. If no audit was done, a year-end financial statement including balance sheet, statement of revenues and expenses, and an accounting of assets and liabilities must be included
- IRS 501 (c) tax determination letter
- scope of work, only if you are requesting funding for consultant services
- written estimate(s) if you are requesting funding support for equipment or capital improvements to facilities
* If you already have started this online application, please log in to your account page
to edit the application that is in progress.