Basic Human Needs Grants support community agencies that provide emergency assistance to Rhode Islanders most in need. Grants of up to $5,000 are awarded to community-based programs that provide direct assistance, such as:
- Food (food pantries, soup kitchens)
- Housing/rental assistance
- Prescription assistance
- Utilities assistance
- Transportation assistance (bus passes, Riptiks, auto repairs)
- Child care assistance for homeless families
To discuss use of funds for capital investments, capacity-building activities, or for other uses of funds not listed above, please email or call Inés Merchán, grant programs officer, at (401) 427-4034.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, and grant decisions are usually made within 4-8 weeks.
To be considered for a Basic Human Needs Grant, you will need:
- Your organization's employer identification number (EIN) or that of your fiscal agent, if you are not a 501(c)
- An electronic copy of your 501(c) determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service to upload into your application, if you have not received previous funding from the Foundation
- To be current on all reporting requirements
Basic Human Needs Grants support the launching of a program or an established program. For established programs, the Basic Human Needs Grant cannot be the only source of monetary funding.
Annual applications: Organizations can receive one Basic Human Needs Grant per calendar year.
Multi-year applications: Organizations that have received Basic Human Needs Grants for the last three-consecutive years have the option, in most cases, to submit one application which will be good for three years. The award amount will be the same for the three years. Second and third-year funding is contingent upon our receipt of the evaluation report.
Site visits may be conducted after your application has been submitted.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, and grant decisions usually are made within 4-8 weeks.
A complete application includes:
*If you already have started this online application, please log in to your account page to edit the application that is in progress.